Thursday, March 12, 2015

I used to sing

In his book on prayer, Keller writes: "Singing engages the whole being-the heart through the music as well as the mind through the words."

This reminded me of a time in my life when I would sing during my daily prayer time. Now, I am not a good singer. And I'malso not a person who IS a good singer but says he's not a good singer with false humility the basis for his words. I really and truly am not a good singer.

Nevertheless, I used to sing during times of adoration. And this quote by Keller reminded me of that. And in thinking on this, I think that I should return to this practice. I love the idea of it engaging both my heart and my mind.

Here is how I would arrive at a song in the morning: I would be actively looking for a song to sing during my time of Bible reading. I would anticipate direction for a song in the words of scripture. Maybe I would read a word or a phrase that would remind me of a song. For example, tody I read the account of the Egyptians being killed in the Red Sea and of the song Miriam sang: "The horse and rider fell into the sea." This reminded me of a fun and upbeat song we used to sing that went like so: "I will sing unto the Lord for he has triumphed gloriously; the horse and rider fell into the sea." Back in the day, that might be come the song I sang during a period of adoration in my devotions. So that's how it went.

I think I shoud revisit this practice.

And in case you're wondering, I did not subject the workers and patrons at Starbucks to a rousing chorus; I'll save that for the privacy of my home.


No comments:

Post a Comment